Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Invictus (2009)



Directed by Clint Eastwood

Rating: 6/10


It seems that all people enjoy hearing an inspiring story, especially ones that are based on a true story. I enjoy uplifting films, but "Invictus" didn't really do it for me. "Invictus" is based on Nelson Mandela and his actions to bring South Africa together as a nation through the sport of rugby. Entering his first-term as president, Mandela used the 1995 Rugby World Cup to inspire his country and uplift their spirits as a whole. He established a bond with team captain Francois Pienaar and both men shared the same interests and hope for their country. Led by Francois, the South African team beat country after country to eventually make it to the championship.

To be honest, I was actually really disappointed with "Invictus." Nelson Mandela is an important figure in history, and I think that Morgan Freeman did a good job playing him. With that said, I thought the movie was boring. It seemed like the entire film was in slow-motion. The last scene of the movie is dragged on for roughly twenty minutes, just to get the point across that the South African rugby team is tough. I appreciate the sport without knowing much about it, however "Invictus" makes rugby look way more confusing.

Matt Damon gave a mediocre acting performance as Francois Pienaar as did Morgan Freeman playing Nelson Mandela. "Invictus" wasn't terrible; I just expected more out of it. When telling a story based on one of the most influential men in history, I expected to feel emotionally connected and entertained. Unfortunately, I wasn't.

2 comments:

  1. Aww! That's too bad. I was really excited about watching this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey post something new you fat piece of shit jesus christ am I following this blog for a reason or what

    ReplyDelete